02 January, 2012

fashion resolutions, 2012

I don't ever make New Year's resolutions. Only in class when teachers force me to- though I think the last time was grade 3. Despite its title (purely for conventional purposes), I've compiled a to-do list for the fashion student in me.

1. If I won't cut it, I'll try new ways to style my hair. I've never been to a hair salon or had professional styling in my life, but I love my hair as it is without layers. Usually, I wear it down with a variety of side, off-centre, and centre parts. This year, mastering (the art of braiding) spontaneous hairdos to match my spontaneous style when I need to will be one of my goals.





2. Stylish lounging. Out of family habit, I tend to strip my day clothes immediately upon returning home in favour of comfy pj pants and an oversized tee. (I mean, how else are we supposed to use those gigantic unisex shirts from marathons, summer camp, and gym class uniforms?) Can I look put-together and sophisticated at home? I want to be able to answer the door like, "nbd, I'm in pjs".




3. Wear all white. I'm loving this clean, crisp (anti-don't-wear-white-after-Labour-Day) look for year-round. Even though it's these models are donning monochromatic neutral outfits, they would definitely stand out in a crowd. Unlike gothic black or rainy grey, Monochromatic white gives off a very minimalist vibe.



4. Keep up. I rarely watch runway shows (and when I do, only on YouTube) or read magazines. Instead, I'm frequently trapped in the non-idea of suburban fashion: pseudo-brand names (wtf is a lululemon, really), "hipster" boolah (wtf does "boolah" even mean), and dressing to fit in rather than stand out (wheretf did we replace unique with u-need-to-look-like-everyone-else). I'll look out for inspiring big city street style, and maybe even runway trends. Who knows?



5. And lastly, take better photos. I've put off getting a nice camera (and lens) until now. At the very least, I'll take more shots outside, as to spare you the view of awkward closet doors and door stop thing (you know what I'm talking about).


Your turn: what resolutions have you made for the new year? Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment